Merlin was rescued by volunteer Jeannie Deibel from the main square of Mindelo, upon a telephone call of some people passing by him.
He was dismayed and very heavy for Jeannie. But somebody stopped by car and took them to the volunteer’s house. Merlin had been washed with crioline, a toxic disinfectant used for cleaning floors.
This is common practice in Cape Verde, to kill ticks, when the dogs are infested. We washed him with soap and warm water and then put him on fluids for a couple of days until he recovered.
When he was up and running again we put him on the street expecting that he goes home…. But he didn’t.
He stayed in front of the shelter’s door for days, until we put him inside again.